International Travel and Tourism Manager (Internship)
To post a job, sign in here
|Organization:||Students Offering Support (SOS)|
|Location:||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Deadline:||Jul 14, 2012|
|ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND: SOS: |
Students Offering Support (studentsoffferingsupport.ca) is the sustainable social venture that develops and supports SOS chapters residing within post-secondary schools across the nation. Each SOS chapter operates by raising money to raise roofs through raising marks during our ‘Exam-AID’ group review sessions. These student-led sessions take place prior to midterm and final exams, charging $20 per session. The money raised is spent creating sustainable education projects in developing nations and are implemented by SOS volunteers on annual volunteer outreach trips. Since 2004, Students Offering Support has tutored over 20,000 students on 21 campuses and raised over $700,000 for 35 sustainable development projects, built by our 1100 student volunteers from coast to coast.
The successful candidate will be the leading force in a project that seeks to research past and recent developments in education in SOS’s partnering countries. The ultimate goal of this internship will be to create country-specific reports that document the historical developments, accomplishments and challenges of education in the various countries. This will be completed by managing a team of country researchers, conducting additional research, monitoring news sources and collaborating with SOS’s outreach department. The intern will also be granted ample opportunity to modify and strengthen the role, based on their background and perspectives.
The International Travel and Tourism Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinating two rest days per trip, preferably to socially-minded tourism sites in Latin America
- Participant support: Providing travel information to support participants regarding destinations, transportation, accommodation, travel costs, fundraising etc.
- Participant logistics: Process participant information and work to coordinate this information with relevant bodies (insurance, government, partnering organizations etc.)
- Co-ordiantion with partnering organizations in Latin America regarding transport, trip expectations, itineraries etc.
- Documenting all pre-departure responsibilities and creating a plan of action for future Travel and Tourism Interns
- Brining new innovative initiatives into the SOS network. This is a new position and we are seeking out creativity in building structure for future interns.
Required Skills / Attributes:
- Detail orientated
- Strong written communication skills
- Creative thinker with strong initiative to expand and strengthen existing programs
- Independent worker with strong initiative
- Ability to read and write in Spanish is an asset
Start Date: July 15.
Hours: This role is a part time position, and hours will be set based on availability.
Location: 398 Bloor St. W, Toronto. Intern can work from the office or home.
Internship Length: We are looking for an intern to help with pre-departure support for at least the month leading up to our Outreach trips (February, May and August). The ideal intern would be very available for the month of January, April and July and work (reduced hours) during the interim months.
Compensation: Unfortunately due to our charitable status, and with the current economic conditions, we have not been able to secure the necessary funding to pay additional employees, but will be able to provide transport to/from the office and various perks of working on the national team (events, discount on an outreach trip if interested).
This is an opportunity to work for a national social venture which is growing at an incredible pace. By using entrepreneurial business practices, we have been able to provide students across the nation with an extremely meaningful opportunity to help their peers and help children around the world. This position will provide an unbelievable amount of hands-on research and writing experience, as well as the opportunity to experiment and implement ideas that YOU have that will help the organization.
HOW TO APPLY:
TO APPLY, e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
|Contact:||Students Offering Support (SOS)|
is a service for journalists, writers, news editors,