When the media call your organization will they get an answering
machine or voice mail? If so you should:
- Assign someone to check messages at least daily.
- Include something like the following in your message: "We're
sorry we've missed your call. Please be assured we check our messages
daily and return 100% of our messages." Follow through with
- Include your organization name, fax number, and mailing address
in your outgoing message.
- If possible, refer to a number where the media can get immediate
- Assume all journalists leaving messages are on a tight deadline.
Don't make a journalist or researcher wait too long for a reply
or you may see your competition quoted in tomorrow's news!
- Be prepared for hang-ups. Many people are turned off by voice
mail and answering machines because people don't return their
messages. Try to turn this trend around for your organization.
- Don't assume an answering machine or voice mail can replace
a good receptionist.
- Get the best voice in the office to record your message.
Don't play that
game: Ending telephone tag
storefront: Your telephone