We all have to speak in front of others at times. Here are some
tips to be more powerful, memorable and successful.
- Don't read your speech. Write key points down on note cards.
Speak spontaneously and use the cards as reminders.
- Have your hands visible to the audience. Keep them out of your
pockets, and use them to communicate.
- Wait 3 to 5 seconds before you begin, then speak more slowly
than normal. This will feel uncomfortable, but it helps you focus
and makes you look/sound more powerful.
- Smile, Smile, Smile. An audience always reflects the speaker!
- Watch you listeners for their feedback. If their body language
says "Borrring" do something different!
- At a personal moment in your talk, wink at your audience. (left
eye to people on your left, right eye to those on the right. It
makes people feel like you're speaking to them.
- Make your speech live. Put your heart and soul into it. If it
doesn't live, you die as a speaker.
Peter Urs Bender is author of the
best-selling book Secrets of Power Presentations.
His listing appears in Sources.
for more tips.
7 Tips for Effective
of Your Guide to Public Speaking
of a Worthwhile Presentation
Neglect Your Presentation Skills
to the Public: Ten public speaking tips
The HotLink Resource
Shelf: Going for Gold!
Talking! Explore the Paid Speaking Market
to the Media