Meeting the Expectations of the Land
Essays in Sustainable Agriculture and Stewardship
Jackson, Wes; Berry, WendellPublisher: North Point Press, San Francisco, USA
Year Published: 1984
Pages: 250pp ISBN: 0-86547-171-1
Resource Type: Book
Addresses the problems facing agriculture today, such as topsol erosion, lowered water tables, reliance on pesticides, dependence on machinery, the overcapitalization of agriculture, the decline of the rural economy, the energy and dollar cost as well as the health problems associated with commercial fertizlers, the shrinking number of family farms, the increasing dependence on fossil fuels.
Table of Contents
1. The Importance of Traditional Farming Practices for a Sustainable Modern Agriculture
2. Whose Head Is the Farmer Using? Whose Head is using the Farmer?
3. Good Farming and the Public Good
4. The Making and Unmaking of a Fertile Soil
5. Thinking Like A River
6. Energy and Agriculture
7. Industrial Versus Biological Traction on the Farm
8. The Sustainable Garden
9. The Economic Structure of a Sustainable Agriculture
10. Sunshine Agriculture and Land Trusts
11. Innocents Abroad: American Agricultural Research in Mexico
12. The Practice of Stewardship
13. An Agroecological Approach to Sustainable Agriculture
14. Replenishing Desert Agriculture with Native Plants and Their Symbionts
15. Investigations into Perennial Polyculture
16. Good, Wild, Sacred
17. A Search for the Unifying Concept for Sustainable Agriculture
About the Contributors
Sources is an online portal and directory for journalists, writers, news editors, researchers. Use Sources to find experts, media contacts, spokespersons, scientists, lobbyists, officials, speakers, university professors, researchers, newsmakers, CEOs, executive directors, media relations contacts, spokespeople, talk show guests, PR representatives, Canadian sources, story ideas, research studies, databases, universities, colleges, associations, businesses, government, research institutions, lobby groups, non-government organizations (NGOs), in Canada and internationally.
© Sources 1977-2015. The information provided is copyright and may not be reproduced in any form or by any means (whether electronic, mechanical or photographic), or stored in an electronic retrieval system, without written permission of the publisher. The content may not be resold, republished, or redistributed. Indexing and search applications by Ulli Diemer and Chris DeFreitas.