A Sybian (IPA: [ˈsɪbɪən]) is a masturbation device used by women and developed by dance instructor Dave Lampert in the 1980s. It consists of a saddle-like seat containing an electric motor connected to a rod that protrudes from a hole in the center. Various attachments can be added to the rod, which vibrates, rotates and may also stimulate the clitoris externally. The intensity of the movements produced can be increased or decreased through a control box attached to the Sybian's base.
According to its inventor Dave Lampert, the Sybian was first conceived in the 1970s but was not further developed until 1983 when he began developing the idea. A prototype was built in 1985 from sheet metal mounted on a wooden frame with a vibrator projecting through an opening inside the housing; a second prototype became the basis for current production models.
Lampert and his team initially called the device Master Better, shortened to "MB" for about four years before selecting a new one. The prefix syb was derived from Sybaris, an Ancient Greek city in southern Italy which was associated with luxurious living.
The Sybian has a mass of 22 lb (10.0 kg), and measures 13.25 in (33.7 cm) wide, 12.5 in (31.8 cm) long, and 8.5 in (21.6 cm) tall excluding the 2 in (5.1 cm) rubber attachment with a 8 feet (2.4 m) power cord. The attachment rotates using a 20:1 ratio gearmotor providing .034 hp (25 W) that can vary from 0 to 120 rpm and vibration is produced using a .059 hp (44 W) electric motor that may be controlled from 0 to 6500 rpm. Both power and vibration/rotation are controlled through a remote control. The Sybian is able to hold over 1,000 lb (450 kg) of weight. The padded cover, which is made out of naugahyde and the casing has built in finger grips for carrying.
Generally, the user of the Sybian straddles the machine and inserts the attachment into her vagina. The vibration and rotation can be controlled by separate on/off switches and two rotary controls. The Sybian is sold with up to four phallus-shaped washable attachments of varying sizes made of synthetic rubber.
The Sybian was featured in Penthouse magazine once it was released in 1987.
Although the Sybian has been featured in many pornographic video productions since the early 2000s, primarily on the Internet, the device came to prominence on The Howard Stern Show since the show's arrival on Sirius Satellite Radio. Howard Stern was given a Sybian as a birthday gift in 2006 and it remains in the Stern studio for use by willing guests.
 See also
Promotional video explaining the machine's use
- ^ Marton, A (1992). "The business of sex". Regardie's Magazine (Washington D.C.) 12 (7): 36.
- ^ a b Dave Lampert. "Sybian for Sexual Gratification - History". http://www.sybian.com/sybian_history.html. Retrieved 25 September 2007.
- ^ "Sybian Details". Abco Research Associates. http://www.sybian.com/sybian_details.html. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- ^ West, J (1987), "Sybian:Plug Into The Ultimate Joy Ride", Penthouse Forum: pp. 19, http://allsafesex.com/
- ^ Hessel, E (2006-11-27), Dethroned, 178, Forbes, pp. 50
- ^ Edgers, G (2007-01-07). "A year after getting Sirius, Stern's entertaining as ever". Boston Globe: pp. 1N. http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2007/01/07/a_year_after_getting_sirius_sterns_entertaining_as_ever/.
- ^ "Stern Likes His New Censor: Himself". The New York Times: pp. E1. 2007-01-09. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/arts/09ster.html?_r=1&oref=slogin.
 External links
This article is based on one or more articles in Wikipedia, with modifications and
additional content by site editors. This article is covered by a Creative Commons
Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 License (CC-BY-SA) and the GNU Free Documentation License