Is your organization planning an event? Here are tips to help make
- Know Your Market. Design a demographic profile of your target
audience; age, income, gender, geographic target, etc.
- Prepare a Market/Media Match. Which newspapers, newsletters,
radio or television stations relate to your target market and
in what ways?
- Prepare a Marketing Budget. Can you afford to advertise? Can
you afford not to? How much free P.R. can you achieve?
- Prepare a Market/Media/Money Match. By this point, you will
have a very comprehensive marketing research document from which
you can design a targeted campaign.
- Prepare a simple news
releases. One of the most effective methods of cultivating
public relations, media exposure and certainly the most cost effective
as well. A campaign missing this component is considerably less
- Make the organizer, the keynote speaker and/or the main attraction
available to speak to the media. The unique nature of any event
implies that there are people and topics of interest for the media
for event listings, interviews, special reports, etc.
- Invite media to attend as your guest. This is particularly important
for after-event marketing or even for next-event marketing if
you are well enough organized to present the information.
- Develop a "What's On" listing. Many, many media sources
have free community or "What's Happening" listings.
Keep a current list, preferably in fax broadcast format.
- Consider Direct Mail Marketing. Lists, mail drops, inserts,
etc., can be very effective.
- Make effective use of 21st Century Technology Techniques. Utilize
broadcasting, website advertising, Internet advertising and telemarketing
to aid in additional marketing, follow-up, registration, or confirmation.
Sabine Steinbrecher is the President of Vorg Inc. Vorg is Canada's
largest financial speakers bureau, an event management and marketing
firm dedicated to the financial services industry. Sabine can be
reached at (416) 703-VORG or 1-800-694-VORG.
Calendar (An event calendar of journalists)
Names & Numbers (media lists)