Deep Thinkers Converge In Waterloo Today
Many of the world's top scientists are now in Waterloo, Ontario to find out why Canada is becoming such a magnet for deep thinkers.
Nobel Prize Winners Sir Anthony Leggett and Steven Weinberg are here. So too are world renowned mathematician Sir Roger Penrose, string theorist Juan Maldacena and other top scientists including James Hartle, Margaret Geller, Raymond Laflamme, Vera Rubin, Jaume Gomis, Rob Myers, Lee Smolin and Daniel Gottesman.
The Prime Minister of Canada will greet these top minds at a Scientific Gala to celebrate the new home of Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. The brand new 65,000 square foot, state of the art research centre was designed, in large part, by international scientists who study all of space, time and matter. The four story, award winning complex includes many unusual work spaces that stimulates deep contemplation and calculation - leading to mind bending theories about life all
- Also on hand to tour and toast the new home of PI will be:
- Dr. Arthur Carty, National Science Advisor to the Prime Minister
- Dr. Thomas Brzustowski, Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Calvin Stiller, Chair, Ontario Research and Development Challenge Fund
- Kenneth Knox, President and CEO, Innovation Institute of Ontario
- The Honourable Joseph Cordiano, Ontario Minister of Economic Development and Trade
- Dr. Paul Steinhardt, Albert Einstein Professor in Science, Princeton University
- Art MacDonald, Project Director, Sudbury Neutrino Oberservatory Institute
- Scott Tremaine, Chair of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University
- Bjarni Tryggvason, Astronaut, Canadian Space Agency
300 other notable leaders including Canadian University Presidents, industry leaders, senior government officials and international scientists
They will meet Perimeter Instituted researchers who are following in Einstein's footsteps and trying to unlock secrets of nature that lay hidden deep inside the atom and far across the universe. Finding out that information may well give rise to new forms of clean energy, super powerful computers and other technologies to benefit all of society. That's because understanding breeds innovation. Much like when Maxwell discovered a unified theory of electricity and magnetism. Marconi applied
the ideas to send the first wireless message between continents. The Communications Age was born, changing our lives with radio, TV, and now cell phones and wireless internet. That's how theoretical physics is at the heart of scientific discovery.
The Prime Minister will be on hand from 5:00 to 7:00pm, Friday, October 1st.
Interviews with top scientists, architects, media tours and more are available all day Saturday, October 2nd from 10:00 to 4:00 pm.
Perimeter Institute is located at:
31 Caroline Street North
Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 2Y5
Directions - From Highway 401, take Highway 8 into Kitchener. Highway 8 becomes King Street. Stay on King Street into Waterloo. Turn left on Bridgeport road and round the curve to Perimeter Institute.
More details available on line at www.perimeterinstitute.ca
News Release page - The
Sources Calendar -
Search Sources Listings
Parliamentary Names & Numbers
to Post Your Press Releases
Search the Sources directory to find
experts and spokespersons