Sources Directory     A to Z Index     Topic Index RSS Sources Select News RSS Feed     Sources Calendar      


Media Releases from members of Sources.
To submit a news release, use this form.

National Home Fire Safety Week: Woodstove and wood-burning fireplace safety

November 8, 2012

The Canada Safety Council's National Home Fire Safety Week is November 24 - 30.

There is comfort in the crackling sound of a wood-burning fireplace or stove on a cold winter's night. But warm and cozy can quickly turn dangerous, destructive and deadly if your wood-burning unit is not properly installed or regularly maintained.

This National Home Fire Safety Week, the Canada Safety Council is focusing on safe practices and reminding fireplace and woodstove users to think about safety before starting any fires.

Preparation Tips

Preventative care and a well-designed area for burning wood can reduce the likelihood of an unintended incident. For example, when installing a woodstove, situate it on a non-combustible surface such as a tile floor. Adequate ventilation is very important for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning; make sure that a door or window is easily accessible from your wood-burning area.

Consult a professional about proper installation of stove pipes. If you are using a fireplace, regularly have the chimney cleaned and serviced by a professional. Keep an area of at least one metre around the stove or fireplace clear of anything that might catch fire or overheat.

Know what to expect from your wood-burning unit. Stoves are designed to heat larger areas, and emit warmth from all sides. You may need to install a heat shield behind or beside the stove to prevent heat damage to any nearby walls. A fireplace, meanwhile, is primarily decorative and often does little more than provide some heat to the room in which it is located.

Firing it up

Before lighting your fireplace or wood-stove, open the damper to allow for good airflow. Keep the damper open until the fire is out and the ashes are cool enough to touch.

Build your fire with a small amount of dry, seasoned wood to keep the flames under control. Resist the temptation to overload your fireplace or stove. Burning too much wood at once can cause tar and creosote to build up in your chimney or stove pipes, which creates a fire hazard.

Never use highly flammable materials such as wrapping paper or gasoline in a woodstove or fireplace. These substances can create dangerous fireballs in an instant and, just like burning too much wood at once, can cause a buildup of flammable materials in your chimney or stove pipes.

Always use a screen in front of the fireplace, and never leave children unattended by a fire. Have a fire escape plan for your house and regularly review it with your family.

Other considerations

Keep a working fire extinguisher in an accessible location. Check your smoke detectors monthly, and replace the batteries as necessary. You should also have a carbon monoxide detector near your fireplace or woodstove. Carbon monoxide buildup can occur if the area around your wood-burning unit is inadequately ventilated. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches and nausea. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, get out of the building immediately and find out what needs to be done to correct the ventilation problem.

With the holiday season fast approaching, remember to take decorations such as stockings off the fireplace before use. If you have a real Christmas tree, water it regularly and keep it a safe distance away from your woodstove and any open flames.

Be responsible and use common sense. Avoid being intoxicated or impaired when around fire. Never leave your house or go to bed when a fire is still burning.

When it's time to clean the ashes out of the fireplace or wood-stove, wait until they are completely cool and scoop them into a metal bucket; never place the ashes in a plastic or cardboard container. It can take up to three days for embers and ashes to completely cool.

Exercise due care and enjoy staying toasty by your fireplace or woodstove this winter!


For more information, please contact:

Catherine Benesch

Communications/Media Program Coordinator, Canada Safety Council

(613) 739-1535 (ext. 228)

For more information contact:
Catherine Benesch
Communications/Media Program Coordinator
Phone: 613.739.1535 ext. 228

Click here to view our Sources Listing:

Canada Safety Council


Sources home page